15/09/2012

The Vampire Market & Why it's a Waste Of Time

So we probably all agree, that vampires are kinda cool. I'm not referring to the Twilight ones, but to the ones from tales of old, the ones who would strike fear into people when they slept! I know about a place in Bulgaria, where they recently found stakes driven through the chests of the decayed bodies! 

Now, vampires may or may not be a simple legend - and I am not here to debate that. But rather, I'm telling you to not write a vampire novel if you honestly want to get published.


Seriously, if you check Amazon, you will find 1000's of vampire books, plastered with the words 'horror', 'gore' and 'intense'. But none of them really strike fear into hearts, most of them just tug at teenage girls heartstrings; so if you'd like to become a reputable author who writes about vampires, make sure to aim it at teenagers, or lusting women. I think the only vampiric books that remotely interest men, are the Dracula and Bram Stoker books; this market isn't worth your time, effort, or money.

If you have just wrote a vampire novel and I've just crushed your hopes, not to fear! Try to get it published, but this is a very tough market, and I am inclined to warn you - because my first novella was about vampires... and it was rejected. Apparently is was fascinating, and a brilliant read, but sadly, the market had no room for an adult-version of Twilight.

Sex also runs rampant in the world o' vampires, so if you aren't comfortable with that, then stay away unless you aim to make a romance vampire novel.

I, personally, think that I have recently only read one decent vampire story, and it was only 4000 words, it was indie, and on a website (somewhere on Piczo, I recall).

There is hope, though! Demons are lacking in books, now, and you can just take your vampy and make him or her into a demon - simples. But please, get rid of the clichés!

Just incase you didn't believe me about the market, here's some of the e-mail my publisher sent me...
Dear Kristy, we are pleased to say we found your novel entirely captivating! We would be happy to publish this for you & your agent, however, the market for this style of book is very tough and is currently crammed with authors and literary works. [...] ...we would be more than happy to publish this if you revised it and came back with around 200,000 words. [...] Thank you for your time, please get back to us soon!
-Nancy